The Town of Manheim
The peaceful town of Manheim, how beautiful it lies, within a fruitful valley , beneath
its sunlit skies. Protectingly around it, through shade and sunny gleam, the Chicques
floweth gently, a calm, rejoicing stream. Oh, blessed town of Manheim, of fair and
proud renown, the gardens and harvest fields, which cluster round the town. No land
can boost a fairer scene, and none a richer soil, than that which yields unto thy sons
the fruits of sturdy toil. The prosperous town of Manheim, from foundry, shop and mill,
there comes a sound of working, which all the air doth fill, there brains and hands
kept busy, shall find, with one accord, at eventide, in sweet content, their well
deserved reward. The happy town of Manheim, what music and what song, arises in it
households from voices old and young. There on a Sunday morning, in sweet and
solemn chime, the church bells fill the quiet air , with harmony sublime. The loyal town
of Manheim, though ridiculed as such, let Manheim’s children proudly give, all honor
to the Dutch. For theirs is intellect most keen, and theirs sweet music’s gift, and
theirs the love of liberty, and steadfastness, and thrift. Oh free, fair town of Manheim,
thy founder named thee well, in beauty, peace and plenty, fit home for man to dwell.
Long may thy streets resound with mirth and those whose feet have trod, with thy
founds, be faithful still, to country, home and God.
By Manheim poet Cora M. Kapp—1952
The view of Manheim to the right was
taken in 1907 and is looking south
from the northern most edge of town.
Click on photo for larger view.
Manheim’s Early History – From 1738 to 1910
The first settlement in the vicinity of Manheim was made by Mennonites about the year 1738. This section was then
part of Donegal Township which was one of the original townships of Lancaster County at it erection in 1729.
In 1741 Rapho Township was created out of the north eastern part of Donegal Township and because the town of
Manheim was developed on a tract of land in Rapho Township, one can, with some justification, begin the history of
Manheim with the year 1741. Moreover, for a period of seventy-five years after its founding, the town of Manheim
was not separately incorporated, but was governed by township officials, so that the town and its people were very
much a part of the township.
The town of Manheim undoubtedly had its inception in the mind of Henry William Stiegel, although we cannot
properly label him as the founder, since his two business partners—Charles and Alexander Stedman—were
associated with him in the beginning of the town. It was in 1762 that Stiegel and his partners purchased a tract of
729 acres in Rapho Township, and it was in the same year that surveyor Thomas Lincoln arrived on the tract and
plotted a town which was named Manheim.
Ten years before the beginning of Manheim, Stiegel—having recently come to Pennsylvania from Germany—had
arrived at Elizabeth Furnace, twelve miles from Manheim, in search of employment. By the time the town of Manheim
was projected, Stiegel had made such rapid strides that he was now joint owner with the Stedmans of Elizabeth
Furnace and Charming Forge, and had become one of the prominent ironmasters of Pennsylvania.
At Elizabeth Furnace, Stiegel also experimented in glassmaking and had reached the point where he was supplying
the neighborhood with window glass and bottles. In beginning a town, there was a definite idea in his mind of
developing a glassmaking center as will shortly be seen. On a wide square in the center of the town, be built both a
mansion and an office building for himself, while on the corner of South Charlotte and Stiegel Streets, he put up a
glass manufacturing plant—a glass house, he called it.
The first glass was blown here in 1764 and for ten years—or until 1774—Stiegel continued to operate his glass
works which eventually was named The American Flint Glass Manufactory. He was continually improving the
products of his plant, as well as enlarging the plant itself. He made a large variety of household glassware and
pioneered in the field of chemical glassware. He introduced colors—blue and green and amethyst—and some of his
ware was enameled in colors. Other pieces were engraved. Extensive advertising brought business to Stiegel from
far and near and he became as eminently successful in glassmaking as he was already prominent in the iron
At the zenith of his career as a glassmaker, he employed approximately one hundred men. Continuing his interest in
Manheim, he became sole owner of the town through a series of financial transactions. Notwithstanding the success
of The American Flint Glass Manufactory, Stiegel suffered a complete financial failure. Some time in 1775, Stiegel
left Manheim without title to any abode anywhere or even a foot of land in his town of Manheim. For the remainder of
his life, he was dependant on relatives and acquaintances for the asylum which they granted him. His last years
were occupied by teaching school at Brickerville, at Schaefferstown and at Womelsdorf. His date and place of death
remain a mystery.
There are two churches in Manheim whose histories go back to colonial days, and both of them were begun at about
the same time. The first building of Saint Paul’s Reformed Church was built in 1769 at which time the pastor was
Rev. John Conrad Bucher. He served until 1779 and it was sometime during his pastorate that the church was used
as a soldiers’ hospital. The Zion Lutheran Congregation was organized in 1770 by Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg
who also served as the first pastor. A piece of ground was sold to the congregation by Henry William Stiegel, who
was a staunch Lutheran, for five shillings and “in the month of June yearly forever hereafter the rent of one red rose
if the same shall be lawfully demanded”.
Manheim’s one claim to some notice during the Revolutionary War arises from the fact the Robert Morris, Signer of
the Declaration of Independence and generally known as the financier of the Revolution purchased the Stiegel
Mansion on the square and lived there with his family during the period that the Continental Congress met in York by
reason of the British occupancy of Philadelphia. There also lived at Manheim in the same period Dr. Joseph
Shippen, Surgeon General of the Continental Army and Richard Bache with his family. Mrs. Richard Bache was
Benjamin Franklin’s only daughter Sally.
The glassworks of Stiegel which had augured so well for the future of Manheim was never operated with much
success after the failure of the founder. It finally shut down completely about 1780. This left Manheim a struggling
village of barely more that 300 people, although the first federal census of 1790 called the place Manheimtown.
1805 – September 30 – Samuel Peter Heintzelman was born in a house which is still standing on South Main Street.
Samuel was graduated from West Point in 1826 and spent the remainder of his life in military service. His brilliant
career included engagements with the Indians in the west and southwest and active service in both the Mexican War
and the War between the States. In 1861 he was appointed Brigadier General. He retired from active service in
1869 and in 1880 he died in the city of Buffalo, New York. It was in 1877 that he made his last appearance in
Manheim, when, at the age of 72, he addressed the citizens of Manheim from the porch of the house in which he was
In 1812, the Manheim Fire Company was begun and articles of Association were formulated. A small hand engine
was purchased from the Union Fire Company of Lancaster. This early piece of fire fighting equipment had been
imported by the Union Fire Company from London in 1764. This early fire company continues today under the name
of The Hope Fire Engine and Hose Company and the 1764 pumper is preserved in a small museum in their building.
Manheimtown had a very slow growth during the first sixty years of its existence. By 1832, there were only sixty
dwellings, according to a gazetteer of that period. However, the spirit of progress was surely present in the minds of
the town leaders, for in 1838 with a population of 365, the town was incorporated by the Legislature as a borough.
From 1800 to the period of the Civil War, several industries came into the life of Manheim. To be sure, they were not
large, but each one employed from two to a dozen people. There was the Miller Hat Factory, one of the early hat
manufacturers of the United States and there were several potteries — notably John Gibble and the Singley
brothers. Phillip Arndt ran a tannery, and a brickmaking plant was in operation. Grandfather clocks were made by
Christian Eby and son, by John Conrad Heintzelman and by Samuel C. Stauffer. Daniel Danner in his wood turning
shop made spinning wheels and musical instruments. Kline and Fertig were makers of shoes and Martin Bauder
wove stockings. Emanuel Dyer, John Dyer, John Rice and John Wagner were carpenters and cabinet makers.
There were two cooperages. Three tailors — George D. Miller, David May and Phillip Waltz — were kept busy.
Catering to the farmers were eleven hustling wagon works. John Long plied the trade to locksmith and Jonas White
made combs. In 1830 Jacob Stauffer opened the first printing shop, but it was short lived. In 1838 John M.
Ensminger opened the second one and in 1846 he began the printing of Manheim’s first newspaper.
Life in Manheim in the Civil War period, followed very closely the pattern of life in hundreds of other towns throughout
the land. While the town was not in the sphere of activity during the war, there was one time during the period that
the affairs of war caused consternation. That was when the citizens of Columbia, in order to halt the advance of the
Southern Army, burned the bridge spanning the Susquehanna. Before that, hundred of citizens in York County had
fled before the oncoming Confederates and these added to hundreds more of Columbians left in wagons for safer
territory. The first contingent made such a great noise traveling toward Manheim that the residents believed that the
Confederates had already reached Lancaster County. Greatly relieved were they when the approaching army
proved to be only distressed Columbians who soon filled the Manheim Square with there wagons. The number of
men from Manheim and vicinity who served in the Union Army was 179.
Following the war between the States, came and era of internal development and improvement. All through the
nation, it was also a time of social reconstruction. The contagion of the times spread to Manheim and here are some
highlights in local history during the next half century.
1862, January, 1st—The first railroad train came to Manheim upon the completion of the first division of the Columbia
and Reading Railroad which extended from Columbia to Manheim. The entire line was finished on March 31, 1864.
1865—Manheim’s first bank was organized and named Manheim National Bank. Abraham Kauffman was the first
1868—National Methodist Camp Meeting was held in Hamaker’s Woods, one-half mile north of Manheim. It
continued for ten days and on the “big” Sunday when Bishop Simpson preached, the throng was estimated as
numbering 25.000 people.
1876—A tract of land south of Manheim was given to Manheim Borough by Abraham Kauffman for park purpose. In
honor of the donor, the tract was named Kauffman Park.
1884—Service was begun by the Manheim Water Company. This was a decided forward step, for until this time
each residence had its own pump while the “old town pump” on the square served all who were athirst.
1886—The Manheim High School was organized and graduated it first class, thirteen in number. Prof. W. Reiff
Nauman was the Supervising Principal.
1892—The Feast of Roses was instituted in Zion Lutheran Church. Since that year, on the second Sunday in June
the congregation pays to the descendants of Henry William Stiegel “one red Rose”, thus satisfying a payment
extracted in the original deed from Stiegel to the Congregation.
1896—Electricity was introduced to Manheim with the inauguration of service by the Manheim Electric Company
which began operations in the old mill building, once known a Hollinger’s Mill. This marked the end of the old oil
burning street lamps and the retirement of the familiar lamp lighter.
1900—The Federal census of this year gave Manheim a population of 2019. In 1860, the population of Manheim
1910—Henry William Stiegel's office on Market Square and Charlotte Streets razed for construction of a new home.